April 20, 2014
- Sword Art Online – Worldwide simulcast announced.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Remains #1 in the box office a third week!
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – With $47M, the film hits with largest international opening weekend of 2014.
- The Fantastic Four – Will be a coming of age story.
April 21, 2014
- Adventure Time – Preview upcoming episode “Food Chain,” produced entirely in Japan with no help from American team.
- Star Wars Rebels – Checkout new artwork.
- The Fantastic Four – Simon Kinberg hints at Annihilus villain.
- Hugo Awards – The Wheel of Time series as a whole (Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson) has been nominated.
- Terminator: Genesis – Production begins.
April 22, 2014
- Check out new video questioning “What the Heck Happened to Movie Trailers?”
- Hunter X Hunter – After a long hiatus the manga will return to English and Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump.
- Godzilla – Gareth Edwards and Max Borenstein talk about the tone of the film.
- Comics – To celebrate 75 years of Batman comics, DC plans to showcase the hero on most of their July issues. For the full list of 21 click here.
- Star Wars – Alan Horn, Disney Chairman, has stated that the future film releases could revert to the original May release schedule.
- Captain America 3 – Alan Horn also stated that Disney may fall for DC’s bluff and move the release date.
- The Amazing Spider-Man – For the third film we may see J. Jonah Jameson.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – Lou Ferrigno will be voicing the Hulk again.
- Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman will be ending their film-writing partnership. Kurtzman is eyeing to direct Venom, while Orci wants Star Trek 3.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – First twitpic of Robert Downie Jr. on set.
- Doctor Who – A new Tenth Doctor companion, Gabriella Gonzalez (or Gabby) will be introduced in the new Titan comic book series.
- Flash Gordon – Fox prepares a reboot.
April 23, 2014
- Hunter X Hunter – Manga set to return on on June 2.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – Mark Ruffalo tweets a bunch of pics from the set of the Avengers and gets into some trouble with Marvel.
- Doctor Who – A new rumour going around is that there will be a new writer for series 8, namely Peter Harness.
- Box Office – Captain America Passes $600M worldwide.
- Doctor Who – Following his casting on Doctor Who, Peter Capaldi’s character “the cardinal” on The Three Musketeers series shall be written out of the show.
- Jurassic World – First set pics include shots of Bryce Dallas Howard.
- XBOX ONE – Launches (finally) in Japan on September 4.
April 24, 2014
- Godzilla – Awesome new IMAX poster.
- Frozen – Becomes the most successful foreign animation film in Japan, where it is titled Anna and the Snow Queen.
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Thanos has been cast, according to Kevin Feige.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe – Talking to Empire Magazine, Kevin Feige touches on the Age of Miracles, Hulkbuster suit and the Vision.
- Transformers: Age of Extinction – International Trailer.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe – Feige ALSO, talks about Ant-Man and Paul Rudd.
- The Hobbit 3 – Previously titled There and Back Again (a great title), it is now officially known as “The Battle of the Five Armies,” which I hate obviously.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – Release date for the UK and Ireland get pushed forward to April 24, 2015. #mustbenice
- Warcraft – The very first behind the scenes photo.
- Batman vs. Superman – Ray Fisher has been cast as Cyborg. Let’s just call this Justice League and get it over with.
April 25, 2014
- Comics – Marvel announces The Death of Wolverine, following their 3 Months to Die arc this Summer.
- Star Wars – Disney clarifies the fate of the “Star Wars Expanded Universe” and introduces a new line of books that will coincide with the films.
April 26, 2014
- Star Wars VII – An announcement on the film is imminent, likely to occur on May 4th (May the Fourth be with you). The title of the film probably won’t be released until Comic Con.
- Video Games – The legendarily atrocious Atari game E.T. was notorious for being so bad that they buried 14 truckloads of its game cartridges into a landfill in 1982. Well now they’re digging them up.
- Books – Popular fantasy novelist Patrick Rothfuss (known for his Kingkiller Chronicles), announced he is publishing a “short” story/novel on one of his secondary characters Auri which will be around 30,000 words entitled “The Slow Regard of Silent Things.”
4 thoughts on “Geekritique News Roundup – Week of 04/20/14”
Exciting for ‘The Slow Regard of Silent Things’! Would be excited more if it was the main book though….
Hahaha! Yeah same. I think Auri is a great character and deserving of a story though. So I’m very happy and look forward to it.
Yeah I love her as well, Also interesting is that a story about Bast is going to be in the Rogue’s anthology! But I think he’s the only writer who would consider a 30,000 word story to be a short one.
Yes, exactly. That is realistically on the short end of novel lengths, but he’s referring to it as more of a short story than anything lol.