Something I’ve been wanting to accomplish for some time was to bring together all the many forms of official Star Wars mediums that have helped expand what we know of the full Star Wars story, and organize them into an understandable and easy to use Timeline. Over the course of the past couple days I’ve been compiling everything officially accepted as canonical by the Lucasfilm Story Group and have been fitting the pieces into a larger puzzle as best I could manage. Here’s what I’ve come up with. If you have any questions or complaints, see the notes down below before addressing them, but please let me know if I’ve missed anything important and/or if something is falsely placed.
- I chose to stray from the usage of BBY/ABY calendar era designations (Before/After the Battle of Yavin), which are so closely identified with the SWEU timeline. The events in The Phantom Menace being standard year 0, or where the Star Wars universe, as we know it, begins.
- Darth Maul-Son of Dathomir takes place concurrently with The Clone Wars.
- Kanan: The Last Padawan issues 6-onward deal with events during The Clone Wars.
- Battlefront: Twilight Company will likely span the same length as the actual Battlefront game, and follow the same basic story, so there shouldn’t be any reason to place both on the timeline.
- The Star Wars and Darth Vader ongoing comics run almost simultaneously, although the former begins a bit earlier.
- The Lando comic takes place prior to The Empire Strikes Back, but it’s actual placement isn’t known. Putting it in the standard year 34 is an approximation.
- Aftermath: Life Debt and Aftermath: Empire’s End do come sometime after Aftermath, but it could be months or years after the fact, so they were left out. Chuck Wendig refused to comment.
- Junior novels, episode adaptions, promotional material, and short stories have been excluded from the timeline, for a number of reasons.
The biggest thing to be gleaned from all this is how little we know of the events between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. Hopefully that gap gets filled soon.
One thought on “The Complete Star Wars Canon Timeline”